Table of Contents
Easily publish your Notion Page at a Custom Domain.
Creating and maintaining a website is challenging for most people. It could seem like you need special technical knowledge, which can take years to obtain. So many daunting topics immediately come to mind; Domain, SSL certificates, hosting, web page. This can be quite challenging for you to set up from scratch.
Do you also think so? What if I tell you it's easier than you thought? What if you can create a ready-made website from your existing Notion page?
Yes, that's right. In this article I will show you how to do this and how easy it is to do with Sotion.
First, let's deal with the concepts. What is a custom domain? This is the name or URL of the website that you own and manage. The domain name is registered to you or your company, and no one else can use the same name, because the domain is already registered to you. So it's like your own personal property on the internet where your website can live.
Many individuals, startups and companies create their documents and content using the capabilities that Notion provides. Notion is a platform for managing content and data without the complexities of databases and coding.
Notion is simple to use as a document or content management system, it has many useful features and capabilities, one of which is the creation of websites directly from a Notion page.
But why do you need a custom domain for your Notion page? Let’s dive into that…
The main problem faced by people who have made a website from a Notion page is the domain. When you create a new page in Notion you get a link assigned by Notion that looks something like this:
Not ideal if you want your page to represent a serious business or blog. The issue lies not only in the appearance of the link. You also cannot customize the branding, change the preview of links to social networks, add any elements to your page, set a password, or track analytics. And this can be a showstopper if you want to grow your brand or your business.
You want website visitors to view your content on your own domain, so instead of seeing the “ugly” Notion link above, your content will appear as just another page on your website, for example:
Do you agree that this is much better for the visitors to your website?
There are several more reasons why you need a personal domain: visitors to your site will be able to identify with your brand, and you will be able to integrate analytics, web chat, and other third-party tools. But most importantly, your visitors will stay on your website and not be directed to the Notion website just to view some of your content.
That's why Sotion exists. It’s the easiest way for you to set up a custom domain for the Notion website.
Sotion puts your Notion website on steroids. This is what you do with our service:
- create a public website from any page in Notion;
- easily set up a custom domain for your Notion page;
- configure your own social media sharing images and titles
- full navigation between multiple Notion pages from your custom domain;
- assign sub-domains to various Notion pages;
Creating and managing your website should be a quick and straightforward task that doesn’t take much time. Reusing content you already created in Notion is one of the easiest ways to create your website or to add additional content to an existing website.
With Sotion you don't need any technical knowledge on how to make your website.
To get started with Sotion as quickly as possible, you need to take a two preliminary steps.
First, buy a new domain for your website or reuse a domain/sub-domain from an existing website you own, e.g.
You can register a new domain on services like Cloudflare, GoDaddy, Namecheap, Bluehost, or Hostinger.
Secondly, just create your public page in Notion, this will later become your new website.
After these two steps, you are ready to create your site using our Notion Website Builder.
To get started, register for an account. We have 3 plans. All the plans will allow you to use your own domain and customize the branding of your website.
- The simplest is the Starter Plan, which gives you one custom domain and includes all the basic features you need.
- If you need more websites then use the Pro Plan which allows you to create websites at five different domains and includes advanced membership management features.
- The Business Plan gives you up to twenty websites and includes premium support and special features that will be created specifically for you.
From the Sotion website just click on «Connect my Notion page», this will guide you through the 3 step process.
- Enter the link to your Notion page
- Enter your custom domain name
- Enter your name and email, then create a password
Now we have all the details we need to connect your Notion page to your custom domain.
Next, you just need to link it up with your domain service (the full instructions will be in your Sotion Dashboard) and that's it. The Sotion app will do all the work for you. And after a few seconds, you will have a Notion site with a custom domain.
Once everything is connected, you can go ahead and change the branding and social images, add password protection/email sign up, and configure other customizations, all directly from your Sotion Dashboard.
Yes, that’s right. With Sotion, you have a few options when you configure your website:
- By default your site is open and anyone that visits can view the content
- You can choose to add password protection to your Notion page.
- Adding a password to your site is convenient if you want to share sensitive information that can only be accessed if a user enters the correct password. Sotion will allow you to choose your own password and customize the password page with your own branding and instructions for the user.
- Once the correct password is entered, the user will be taken directly to the Notion site at your custom domain.
- You can choose to collect Email Sign ups for access to your Notion page
- Collecting Email Sign ups are great for when you want to share content or information on your website and want to build a list of (validated) email addresses of people interested in your site.
- When a new visitor tries to access your page they will be asked to enter their email address. Once entered they will receive an email with a link to log in to your site (thereby validating their email address).
- You will also receive an email whenever a new visitor signs up to view your page. The message your receive will contain the email address of the visitor signing up for your site.
- You can create a Member-only site with a Restricted Email List for your Notion page
- This is a great option when you want to specify a list of email addresses that are allowed to access your site.
- Only members that you have added will be allowed to log in and view your site.
- When a member visits your site and enters their email address they will receive an email with a link to log in to your site (if you allowed them)
This can all be done with Sotion.so.
Sotion is a dedicated app for hosting your Notion pages at a custom domain. But Sotion is part of a larger platform called Cloakist. Our platform works not only with the custom domains for Notion websites. You will be surprised at the number of other services that we can customize for you in the same way.
Cloakist can do custom domains and branding for Airtable forms, ClickUp documents, Adobe Spark pages, Trello boards, pages from Adobe Express, Calendly, ClickUp, Coda, Confluence, Dropbox Paper, Formstack, Google Docs, Google Forms, Hey World, HubSpot Forms, JotForm, Loom, Microsoft Sway, Roam Garden, Roam Research, Substack, Typeform, Xero, and more.
See all the examples here: cloak.ist/examples
No more complicated instructions and not a single line of code — everything can be done in a few clicks in Cloakist.
Are you ready to own your content?
Get started here and «Try Sotion for fee»
7-day free trial. No credit card required to sign up.